Children should be able to swim 5 metres on their front and back with an understanding of using arms and legs. . The children will start swimming lengths of the pool, first with floats then whole stroke towards the second half of the term.
Aims: Children will develop the arm movements of front and back crawl. Breaststroke leg kick continues to develop with the introduction of the arm action. Butterfly kick is also introduced.
Badge that can be achieved: Waterskills 1
Water Skills 1
By completing the Award you will be able to perform eight of the following skills (or six for those with a disability), with the help of floatation equipment.
- To enter shallow water from the poolside in a safe manner (assistance may be provided via steps or from the poolside).
- To move across the pool with the water surface no lower than shoulder level.
- To submerge the face in water and blow bubbles for three seconds.
- To push and glide from the poolside or bottom on the front and change to a resting or standing position.
- To push and glide from the poolside or bottom on the back and change to a resting or standing position.
- To travel on the back a minimum distance of 5 metres.
- To travel on the front a minimum distance of 5 metres.
- To rotate from the back to the front position and change to a resting or standing position.
- To propel a floating object (e.g. a ball) for 3 metres by any method.
- To demonstrate a flat or upright stationary floating position for ten seconds.