Children must be able to swim 15 metres on their front and back with a good understanding of Front Crawl breathing.
Aims: To improve stroke technique and stamina in all three strokes and to continue developing Butterfly. To introduce skills such as sculling and surface dives.
Badges that can be achieved: – Learn to Swim Stage 3 or 20 metres.
Learn to Swim Stage 3
- Jump in from poolside and submerge to a minimum depth of 1 metre.
- Sink, push away from wall and maintain a streamlined position.
- Push and glide on the front with arms extended and log roll onto the back.
- Push and glide on the back with arms extended and log roll onto the front.
- Travel 5 metres on the front, perform a tuck to rotate on to the back and return on the back.
- Fully submerge to pick up an object.
- Answer correctly 3 questions on the Water Safety Code.
- Push and glide and travel 10 metres on the back.
- Push and glide and travel 10 metres on the front.
- Perform a tuck float and hold for three seconds.
- Exit the water without using steps.
- To be able to swim 20 metres unaided, on front or back, using arms and legs